Friday, July 23, 2010

Blogging About Little Known Books

Who Am I?
My name is Erika and I’m avid reader and “social networker” of books. Half the time I’m not reading books, I am actually reading about books. I am a wife, stay at home mom, university graduate, (sometimes) crafter, and hobbyist.

What is 100 Stars Or Less?
This is a blog about my adventures into the world of “little known books”. Although I do read a lot of the bigger names and try to keep up with the trends in the reading world, I find I have developed a comfort zone. I am much more likely to pick up the book I haven’t heard about. There is a great satisfaction in finding a “little gem”. And at times, an even greater satisfaction in just reading without any idea of what the popular thoughts on a story are. But there is also the aspect of sharing my new found knowledge of these books with others. Let’s keep these books from being forgotten, whether they are great, or silly, or sometimes just so-so.

Why 100 Stars Or Less?
Some of my favourite playgrounds on the internet are “social networking” sites devoted to books. The biggest one in my world is GoodReads.com. The second biggest is Amazon.com (and .ca). These sites give their members the ability to rate books – 1 through 5 stars (5 is the highest, meaning the best, that a person can rate a book). When choosing the name for my blog I decided on 100 stars – stars to reference the standard book rating system, and 100 to reference the number of ratings a book has received. In order to make a cut-off on what I review for this blog, I will be researching my read books on these sites. If a book has been rated by 100 people or less, it qualifies as an adventure into the world of “little known books”. Some of the widest read books on these sites have ratings amounting to hundreds of thousands of people reading them, so I’ll have to assume that 100 is indeed quite a low following.

How Do I Choose My Books?
There are a number of ways I choose my books. Sometimes I stumble upon them at the library, at a used bookstore, or an independent shop. Sometimes I’ve seen the book read by one of my online (or real life) friends and make note of it. Sometimes I’ll win the book in a contest or a giveaway. Anything goes – old or new. As long as 100 or less people have read and rated the book on one of the above sites and I decide to give it a shot in the dark, I’ll be reviewing it here. GoodReads authors and Independent authors will have a good chance at being read for new books, and the old may have to be stumbled upon. Feel free to suggest books to me in the comments sections as well.

How do I rate my books?
Although this blog’s title is somewhat based on the book rating system, I would like to avoid it for now. The main focus will be on promoting books I have read that have had little readership. I will, however, give you an idea of how much I, as a reader loved it or didn’t love it. Believe me, if I think a book was amazing, you’ll know. If I found myself bothered by anything in the book, you’ll know that too.

2 comments:

  1. I like that you are focusing on the lesser known books and authors. They need all the support we can give them! Any voice counts. Looking forward to seeing what you review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lori! I'm happy you like the idea for my blog :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison