Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider by Ellen C. Maze


Publishing Information:

Title – Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider

Author – Ellen C. Maze
Publisher – Outskirts Press
Date Published - 2009
# of pages - 354












Genres & Themes:
Fiction, Christian, Urban Fantasy, Vampires


Stats:
GoodReads – 69 ratings
Amazon.com – 74 ratings

Plot Summary:
Bestselling author Beth Rider enjoys her fame as the South’s newest literary star.That is until Jack Dawn, a real-life vampire, vows to kill her because of the vile redemptive message her book is bringing his people. The ancient race of bloodthirsty immortals to which Jack belongs, known as the Rakum, have spread evil among mankind since the Beginning. But Jack alone recognizes the novel’s destructive potential and she must die. Jack’s proselyte Michael Stone was brought up from his youth to be strong, sensible and brutal. But at one hundred and thirty, Michael is old enough to appreciate his quiet and ordered life. When he stumbles upon the beautiful and apparently innocent Beth Rider, he is puzzled by his Elder’s unreasonable actions against her. Instantly smitten, Michael takes it upon himself to protect her from the limitless lust of his brethren. Facing the most terrifying trial of her life against creatures known only in fables, one simple woman will threaten the existence of a powerful and accursed people. In the climactic final battle, it is a race to the death, or if Beth has her way, a race to the life—of every Rakum who makes the choice. –GoodReads.com description


Noteworthy:

* Story is told through alternating points of view.

* This is the first book in a trilogy with Beth Rider as the protagonist. More information is available at: http://www.rabbitnovel.com/

* In this book the protagonist, Beth Rider, publishes a novel which is titled “The Judging”. If you are anything like me while reading “Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider” you will wonder if we ever get to read any of these writings. You’ll be happy to know that Ellen C. Maze has “The Judging”, a series of four books in the process of being published. This means that you will be able to read this fascinating sounding story as well. More information is available at http://www.thejudgingnovel.com/


What I thought:
I downloaded a sample of Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider after seeing it listed in a giveaways draw over on goodreads.com. No, let me explain. I had seen it previously on a “listopia” list on GoodReads. The cover image seemed to keep popping up into my head shortly after. Then I saw it in the giveaways section and couldn’t resist getting a little sample on the Kindle for myself to see what it was all about. Before I knew it I had finished the sample and was already purchasing my downloadable copy, unable to even wait and see if I’d win the draw.

The story opens with a bang – a glimpse of “Rakum” (the name the vampire-like creatures give themselves) and the torture they are capable of dishing out to those in their way. The focus quickly shifts to Beth Rider and we get another glimpse. The focus shifts yet again – this time to a Rakum member – it is yet another glimpse but much more intimate. As the story unfolds we receive more and more pieces of the puzzle about who these “people” are, how they came into existence, and what Beth Rider’s mission will become. The story is full of action and these glimpses add yet another layer of immediacy to the tale. They make the reader want to know more and make it incredibly difficult to put down.

This is a Christian tale which is very unique. I have never seen a vampire tale that had such immense amounts of spirituality to it. Ellen C. Maze has not only told the story from the point of view of a Christian, she has also provided a realistic example of how vampires could exist on “God’s green earth”. She has most importantly, shown the reader why vampires should be revolting in our culture rather than revered. There has been a huge market growth in the paranormal – vampire genre in recent years. It has been difficult for me to think of the majority of these as more than just entertainment. This storyline made me think twice about just how much books that are “just entertainment” affect our viewpoints of what is going on in the world.

Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider is genuinely one of the best books I have read this year and I have read around a hundred or so this far. If it had any faults it was in the sporadic spelling mistakes, and once in a while a clunky sentence or two. Both of which, are nothing compared to the benefits I have gained by reading Ellen C. Maze’s story. As I mentioned in the beginning of my review I had a difficult time getting this book out of my head before finally deciding to purchase it. I have also had an extremely difficult time getting it out of my head since. Every time I have read one of the other more popular vampire books (I wont mention names here) I finish only to find myself reminiscing about my time with Beth Rider, the Rakum, and yearning for the place where vampires are revolting rather than scary or to be revered. I am looking forward to reading all the books the rest of the Rabbit series along with The Judging books.


Recommended to:
Christians, those who want to see a fresh take on the vampire genre

Where I got this book:
Purchased for my Kindle through Amazon.com

Where you can purchase this book:
Available through Amazon in paperback and Kindle format. Other ebook formats available as well. Visit Ellen’s webpage at http://www.ellencmaze.com/ for more details.

Add this book to your GoodReads "to-read" list:
Rabbit: Chasing Beth Rider









3 comments:

  1. Wow! Erika, you blow me away with your insight into my characters and story-line. Thank you for taking your time to write this down! I will share it around, too!

    You were also very generous to allow me a few errors inside the book; praise the Lord, a publisher picked up my books and is re-releasing "Rabbit Chasing Beth Rider" totally reformatted with all of the errors fixed and an excerpt from "The Judging" which is expected to be out later this month from TreasureLine Books. Yay!

    I am excited to share the other books with you and your blog readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is wonderful news about the new publisher and re-release. Congratulations, Ellen! I am so happy you liked my review posted here. It is especially meaningful to hear that from the author herself :) Feel free to share my review around like you mentioned. I am looking forward to reviewing more of your books for my readers as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review! I was given a copy of this as a gift, but I haven't heard anything about it yet. It's nice to have some positive feedback! Great review! (and how cool is this, that they author commented on your blog! :) )

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison