Monday, January 17, 2011

Spiderwork by L.K. Rigel


Publishing Information:
Title – Spiderwork (In Flagrante Apocalypto #2)
Author – L K Rigel
Publisher – no information 
Date Published – Jan 2011
# of pages – no information (~1700 kindle locations; Word Count: approx. 35,930)

Genres & Themes: Fiction, Paranormal, Science Fiction, Romance

Stats:
GoodReads – 2 Ratings, 4.0 Average Rating
Amazon.com – 1 Customer review, 5.0 Rating

Plot Summary:

Her fate was to hold the world together. His destiny was to tear it apart.

As a child, Durga was chosen by the goddess to save the world from sterility and extinction. Now her eighteenth birthday approaches, and Durga must take her place among the chalices -- women made fertile by the goddess to ensure more souls for the universe. Durga's mission does not include love ... but Khai, the scion of Luxor, is unlike any man she's ever met.

Char Meadowlark once played a role in the goddess's plans. Now her lover, Jake Ardri, heads an emerging city-state whose enemies covet everything Jake has built. As Jake navigates the uneasy waters of political intrigue, his very existence is threatened. To save him, Char must share him with a chalice ... one trained to take him to the heights of sexual ecstasy.

In flagrante apocalypto: When the veil drops between life and oblivion, only love can save them from the abyss. – from Goodreads

Noteworthy:

* This is the second book in the In Flagrante Apocalypto series by LK Rigel. My review of Space Junque, the first of the series can be seen here.

* I was blown away when I saw the cover for the first time. Isn’t it just gorgeous? LK lets us know a little more about the art and the artist on her website here.

* This is a short book – novella!

What I thought:
This is the second book in LK Rigel’s In Flagrante Apocalyto series, being equal parts paranormal and science fiction. I liked Space Junque (book #1 in series) because it introduced me to a genre I had never encountered before. The characters were interesting, the plot was interesting, and the world was interesting. Well, I liked Spiderwork even more. My initial reactions upon finishing the book were…”excellent”! And I believe the main reason for that is the plot and the characters just felt deeper – more complex and each unique in their own ways. Being the second book in the series, we also learn about more parts of the world LK has created. For example, in Space Junque, I was disappointed that what Ms. Rigel called “ghosts” wasn’t explained in a way that I could understand what they were and exactly how they fit into the world. But that resolves itself completely in Spiderwork when one ghost plays an important part in the progression of the story. And may I add, I really liked this character and I’m hoping for more “ghost” action in any of her upcoming books.

The world is also changed from what we saw in Space Junque. What is left of the people that inhabit the planet are ruled by the laws of the goddess Asherah. It’s 8 years after the big war and this almost like having to learn about a whole new world (not quite, but L K has changed her world in some major ways and that takes a bit of getting used to). What I liked about this was we don’t just get one perspective, but two – those of Char and Durga. Both of these women know the same people and have great influence in the political realm but they are different enough we are allowed a glimpse into much more of the world by the split of perspectives. Both of their love stories are also fabulous and add greatly to the reader’s understanding of how these two women’s lives fit into the greater picture that is essentially Asherah’s world. And the souls! I really wish I knew a way to say something about this without spoilers, but um…that was great! The only thing I felt missing from the story was a deeper understanding of some of the peripheral characters. For instance, I would like to know more about Garrick and the chalices (Maribel and Faina come to mind). They are in the story just enough for me to want more but not enough to satisfy my curiousity.

So, if I were you, would I read Spiderwork after having read Space Junque? Yes! Would I read Space Junque just so I could get to some more juicy bits in Spiderwork? That’s a yes also!

Note: Spiderwork was quickly edited to add additional scenes and reposted to Amazon within a week of it’s release. This review is for the second, edited version.

Recommended to: Paranormal romance fans

Where you can purchase this book:
Get Spiderwork for your Amazon Kindle here. Just $2.99!

Read more reviews or add the book to your "to-read" list:
Go to the Goodreads Spiderwork page.





1 comment:

  1. Just looking at that cover makes me want to read it. Wow!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison