Sunday, February 20, 2011

In My Mailbox #9

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme/link-up hosted by The Story Siren  on Sundays. The idea is to share all the books you aquired during the week - either received in the post, purchased, took out of the library, received as gifts, etc.

First up is two review books (both are ebooks) I added to my Reading List page (for review) this week:

Blue Amber by L.K. Rigel (Apocalypto #3) (novella series)
Synopsis:
When Mallory met Edmund...

“Is it magic?”

“The stone didn’t change. We did.”

It's more than a hundred years after the events of Spiderwork. The new world order is established and routine with power uneasily shared between the Concord Cities and Sanguibahd, now called Red City.

Thirteen-year-old Mallory of Garrick Crop Settlement 20 cleans dirty tables in her Ma's saloon and hunts for rabbits and blackberries outside the wall. Everything changes when the goddess Asherah makes her a bleeder. She’ll have the pampered life of a chalice in Red City, but can she ever see herself as anything but settlement trash?

Sixteen-year-old Edmund of Allel has been groomed for the future since his father died. He already thinks and acts like a king, too busy with problems like raptor defenses and hospital efficiency to consider what he might want from life.

On her way to Red City, Mallory meets Edmund. A kind gesture on his part sparks a friendship that defies all law and tradition. When Mallory solves a mystery that has confounded Allel for ages, Edmund realizes she is no ordinary settlement girl, even if she can't see it herself.


Opposed to the last two in the series, this one is young adult, and I'm told is clean. I'm not certain but I also believe it might be a stand-alone story. It does take place much later than Spiderwork but I'm not certain yet how it ties in with the series as a whole. I've started it but only finished the first chapter so far.

Thank you LK Rigel!



and I got...



Elijah by Matt Schorr
(Amazon) (no GR links)
Synopsis:
One Lord. One faith. One baptism.

These are the dictates that rule Antioch, a small, rural community tucked away in the hills of Kentucky. There is no dissension. No discord or strife. All of Antioch's citizens gather each week without fail at one church. One church and no other: ChristPoint.

The Rev. John Joshua Hutchinson serves as pastor for the church and indeed the entire community. As Antioch's sole spiritual leader, he holds near-absolute power over all who live there.

But that's about to change.

A mysterious stranger is about to enter Antioch, an unassuming man with a stranger power all his own. His name is Elijah, and he wields a power like no one in history--save one.

But who is he? What is he? Can he be trusted?

Elijah's presence will challenge not only the power Rev. Hutchinson holds over Antioch, but also the mindsets of everyone in his community.

Thank you, Matt!



Then I got three Birthday and Valentine's gifts! Here are two books that probably need no introduction to at least the young adult bloggers out there:


Across the Universe by Beth Revis (Goodreads) (Amazon) and
Anna and the French Kiss by Stephanie Perkins (Goodreads) (Amazon)

and I got a "coffee table" book:


100 Sacred Places 

and my birthday card came with a bookmark:

I'm happy :D

So, what did you get in your mailbox?

3 comments:

  1. Yay for Anna and the French Kiss and Across the Universe. Those are two of my picks for top books of 2011! Love them.

    Blue Amber and Elijah sound good. Depending on your reviews I might pick them up.

    Thank you for the kind and awesome comment on my IMM. I appreciate it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the cover of the first book! Looks captivating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! You commented on my IMM about Firelight.
    Across the Universe and Anna and the French Kiss both look amazing they've been on my TBR list, I'll read them soon (hopefully).

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison