Monday, February 14, 2011

Share the Love of Books Update

Happy Valentines Day! 


It is also the exact half-way point for the Share the Love of Books event (created/hosted by Jenna Anderson of the One-Mystake-At-A-Tyme blog). So I thought I'd share just a quick update. I copy and pasted Jenna's list of ideas below and crossed off the ones I've accomplished and mentioned the ones I am still hoping to work on. I'll write up a personalized post at the end of February to share exactly what I did.

Share the Love Ideas:

~ ♥ ~  Donate a handful of new or used books to a local charity, hospital, women’s shelter, school, prison, VA hospital, senior center, or crisis nursery. **want to do this one for sure

~ ♥ ~  Make a donation to a book charity. Zoe over at Playing by the Book has created a thorough (and wonderful) list of book charities around the globe.

~ ♥ ~  Buy a book for a child. You buy candy, video games, movies tickets, etc. When’s the last time you bought a book for a child? ** Done...sort of...well, you'll see ;)

~ ♥ ~  Still have kids at home? Will they sit still long enough to be read to? Do it! I bet your older kids will love it. They may not admit it… Select a title that will take a handful of sessions to get through. ** Done...this one is too easy. My daughter is obsessed with books. I plan something a bit more challenging to do in the next two weeks.

~ ♥ ~  Is there a senior’s center or an assisted living facility near you? Do you already make regularly scheduled visits to see a grandparent, aunt, or sibling? Ask the activities coordinator if you can swing by one morning and read aloud to the residents. Short stories, poems, Bible verses, a section of a memoir or biography, etc… What a wonderful way to share the love of books.

~ ♥ ~  Visit a library and bring a child, friend or elderly person with you.
**I wish I could count this 3 times!!!

~ ♥ ~  Join a monthly book group or reading challenge. **I'm hoping to do this one soon.

~ ♥ ~  Do you compare books with coworkers? See if they would like to select a title and meet for lunch in a week or two to discuss it. Or - invite people to bring in whatever book they're reading. Everyone talks about a different book. You can discuss why it was selected, etc.

~ ♥ ~  The same goes for your friends. Do you meet up routinely for a girls night out? Do the conversations steer to books and reading? Pick a book to discuss. Or pick a novel that has since been made into a movie. Invite your friends over to watch it. Those that want to read the book first can.

~ ♥ ~  Attend a new writing group. Take a class to learn how to draft that novel or memoir. Form your own writing group. It can be something as casual as "Second Monday of the Month Power Writing at The Coffee Shack".

~ ♥ ~  Sign up to receive email notices or newsletters from a handful of bookstores. They can be a brick and mortar stores in your neighborhood or online publishers. Authors and sellers like connecting with readers - let them. **Planning this one too.

~ ♥ ~  Grab a friend and shop an indie bookseller in your community. **It's a maybe. I'm not supposed to be buying books...but I really really want to!

~ ♥ ~  Look for notices of author appearances or book signings - go. Tune in a radio show hosting an author interview. Send an email after letting them know you attended and liked what you heard. **I might do an alternate of this - see if I can find a video interview or something like that on the internet.

~ ♥ ~  Visit two author or publisher web pages and leave notes. Let them know why you enjoy their work. **I plan on doing this one too!

~ ♥ ~  Do you see a lonely book product page without any reviews? Buy that title, read it, and write a review. Be sure to post this review on a few sites (Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, Smashwords.) Be honest but not harsh, condescending, or brutal. **That reminds me...I need to get started on something immediately. I have the perfect book for this :)

~ ♥ ~  Encourage your friends to participate in this event. Invite them via Facebook, Goodreads, Library Thing, or Shelfari. Check on their progress, give them a pep talk, or do a couple of the items with them. (Note: I’m not very savvy when it comes to creating events on Facebook, Goodreads, etc. I invite any willing souls to create and manage these pages. I will post the links here and credit you.)

What else? Do you have an idea of your own that supports the love of books and reading? How can we include all the important people it takes to build a book: editors, cover artists, critique partners. If you think of something - go for it! Report back here. Others may wish to do the same.

~ ♥ ~  An idea from Terry: contact an elementary school and ask if you can read out loud to the kids. 

  ~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~

That's it! Looks like there is still a lot of things on my to-do list. 
It's not too late to join in on all the fun. Go to Jenna's blog to find out more or just a pick a few to do from the list above, do them, then share with me when I upload my final post.

Once again, Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison