Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Review: The Other Side of Life by Jess C. Scott


Publishing Information:
Title – The Other Side of Life (Cyberpunk Elven Trilogy #1)
Author – Jess C. Scott
Publisher - CreateSpace
Date Published - 2011
# of pages - 234

Genres & Themes: Fiction, Sci-fi fantasy, Urban fantasy, Fae (Elves), Thieves, Corporations, Cyberpunk, Young Adult

Stats:
GoodReads – 14 Ratings, 4.14 Average Rating
Amazon.com – 8 Reviews, 4.25 Average Rating

My Rating: 2.5/5

Plot Summary:

Short: A thieving duo’s world turns upside down when an Elven rogue uncovers the heinous dealings of a megacorporation.

Long: Anya and Leticia are partners-in-crime who steal for a living. Their world turns upside down after a chance encounter with fellow rogue, Ithilnin--the enigmatic leader of an Elven band of thieves.

A scuffle to prove who's "the better thief" transforms into more than Anya and Ithilnin ever bargained for. They retrieve the missing piece of an ancient poem, before getting caught in the secret dealings of a megacorporation. What they uncover threatens to alter the very essence of not just human life, but the other side as well.

Elven intrigue, cyberpunk action, and a deadly dose of danger come together in The Other Side of Life [Book #1 in the (Cyberpunk) Elven Trilogy].

What I thought:

This is one of those books that for me is really hard to pinpoint my rating. Most of this book was “just not for me”. I had a hard time connecting with the characters and a hard time getting into the plot. It’s a good story and fairly well written too. It’s actually a really fast-paced story but since I couldn’t get into it that made it feel like it took forever to get through. There was nothing I really hated about it either so I wonder why I had such trouble. Looking at the ratings and reviews on Goodreads and Amazon, which are all really positive, I know I’m in the minority here. That doesn’t leave me much to say about the book. There were parts of it that I thought were really beautiful and I think that’s what kept me going. The love story between Anya and Nin was gorgeous. The elven poetry was lovely. And the ending scene was dazzling. If you like elves or cyberpunk I would recommend you try it out despite my unfortunate happenstance with not being able to get into it. Perhaps it wasn’t for me but you’d end up really loving it.

Disclaimer: I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Recommended to: Cyberpunk fans

Where you can purchase this book:
Add this book to your tbr list:
Visit the The Other Side of Life Goodreads page.


1 comment:

  1. Great review! Looks interesting. And I adore the bird photo, so fantastic :)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison