Friday, March 4, 2011

Share the Love of Books Event: My Accomplishments

 The Share the Love of Books Event was created and hosted by Jenna of One Mystake at a Tyme. It ran during the entire month of February.



These are my accomplishments:

~ ♥ ~  Buy a book for a child. You buy candy, video games, movies tickets, etc. When’s the last time you bought a book for a child? 

I bought two sets of books for two different children.
The first set:


These were bought for my nephew all the way back in December. It was his birthday in January, but we didn't get together until mid-February. I'm so happy he liked them! He's only 3 years old and when I saw the picture dictionary and word book I was hoping they'd be perfect for him. Apparently he's at the stage where he loves to point at things and find out more about them.

The second set:


This one isn't a real big accomplishment because unfortunately I HAD to buy these from the library. My daughter ruined them!!! 

Time for Bed was thrown into a bath tub and sat there for at least five minutes before we realised my daughter had snuck in a book on her little visit to the bathroom and put it in the tub behind my husband's back. I dried it in front of a space heater because I knew there was just no way to salvage it. It came out rather funny looking. It's all warbly and the pages don't lay flat at all. Here's a view from the top:





Mountain Babies was so well loved that my daughter insisted she take it to bed with her during nap time. She did not sleep and instead decided to chew the book. Apparently it was too destroyed for the library to take back.




 ~ ♥ ~  Still have kids at home? Will they sit still long enough to be read to? Do it! I bet your older kids will love it. They may not admit it… Select a title that will take a handful of sessions to get through. ]



Books are both my daughter's favourite toy and her favourite learning activity. So when I saw this task I knew it would be way too easy. Instead, I decided to make sure she got a wide variety of stories in a short amount of time. I read all these books to her at least once each during the last weekend of February.




~ ♥ ~  Visit a library and bring a child, friend or elderly person with you.




We visited the community branch 3 times for their children's program One Is Fun and a 4th time on our own with baby's daddy!


~ ♥ ~  Sign up to receive email notices or newsletters from a handful of bookstores. They can be a brick and mortar stores in your neighborhood or online publishers. Authors and sellers like connecting with readers - let them. 



Oopsies! I forgot to do this one in February but I did just manage to find their newsletter and since I couldn't find a way to subscribe I am now following their blog. This store was recommended to me by one of the public librarians who said it was a great resource for finding local book events.

~ ♥ ~  Visit two author or publisher web pages and leave notes. Let them know why you enjoy their work.
I can't remember whose websites I visited or what I said, but I promise, I did do this one!
~ ♥ ~  Do you see a lonely book product page without any reviews? Buy that title, read it, and write a review. Be sure to post this review on a few sites (Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Goodreads, Smashwords.) Be honest but not harsh, condescending, or brutal. 



 I'm not sure if this one counts or not because the book came out March 1st. I did receive an ARC for my kindle though and read it during February. Another thing is that by the time I finished and put my review up there were already three other reviews. So I guess it's half an accomplishment?

~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~~ ♥ ~


And that's it! I didn't get to do a lot of the things on Jenna's list that I wanted to but of course there is always next year.

If any one else did anything similar to this or participated in Jenna's event, please share with me in the comments. Even if you didn't make up a post. I'd love to hear from you.

1 comment:

  1. He absolutley loves those books Erika! you did good! When Gillian is 2-3 I would def. recommend Richard Scarry. The pictures are so great.

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison