Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Review: Picture Perfect by David N. Alderman


Publishing Information:
Title – Picture Perfect
Author – David N. Alderman
Publisher – Self-published
Date Published – Feb 22, 2011
# of pages – ebook (novella length)

Genres & Themes: Fiction, Love (Romance), Fantasy, Young Adult

Stats:
GoodReads – 4 Ratings, 3.5 Average Rating
Amazon.com – 2 Ratings, 4.0 Average Rating

My Rating: 4/5

Plot Summary:
Jonathan Huxley, a homeless boy living on the streets of Mecca, meets a wealthy gentleman who offers to take him in as an adopted son - if he'll wed the daughter of a family friend. But all is not as it seems in the world of wealth and power, as Jonathan is soon forced to make a decision between a secure future or forbidden love. While he fights to keep hold of what little is left of his innocence, the events surrounding him are shaping him into the notorious mercenary he will soon become.

What I thought:
I couldn't put it down! It took me only 2 hours to read through Picture Perfect. This is an extremely fast read for me as I can be somewhat of a slow reader at times. Given, this book is a novella, but even then it was way faster than any of the other novellas I have read so far.

I was taken to the main character Jonathan immediately and really felt for him with the predicament he gets himself into. The story brings up an interesting question - if you were homeless and were given the chance to get off the streets but in return were required to give up some of your other freedoms (like who you are to marry or who you are allowed to interact with), would you do it? This is the question that Jonathan must face but even more so because he is already falling in love with someone he is not allowed to be with.

The story has a magical and mysterious feeling to it that I found both charming and compelling. I only wish the ending was a little less ambiguous, something I'm sure the author has set up to make way for the books in his Expired Reality series but which bothers me a teeny bit nonetheless. So, good book. I give it a 4/5 for being charming, compelling, and for leaving me wanting more.


Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the book from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Recommended to: Both fantasy and young adult readers may enjoy this short novella

Where you can purchase this book:

Add this book to your tbr list:
Visit the Picture Perfect Goodreads page.



2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your review, it is well written and I love your concept of only reviewing unknown books.

    Linda@books-treasureortrash.com

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison