Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Blog Tour Guest Post: Reading, Writing, and Life, by Melissa Foster



Please welcome Melissa Foster who is currenlty blog touring for her book Megan's Way. Melissa has written us a guest post and you can visit her tour schedule to read more from her or purchase her books and enter to win a free kindle!

****

Reading, Writing, and Life, by Melissa Foster

As a parent, I can honestly say that besides imparting strong family morals and ethics, the best thing I’ve done for my children was teaching them to read. The world of books has opened up more than just a venue to eliminate boredom, it’s also opened flood gates of creativity, a world of advanced vocabulary, and windows into different styles of writing.

Reading offers a curious mixture of entertainment and imparting knowledge. I’m constantly amazed at how something as small as a book can offer more enjoyment than roller coasters and ice cream (well, it’s a close call with ice cream), and yet, it always does. Just as a child learns from the simple act of reading, the information I glean from books comes to me without my seeking it out.

Each book, whether I enjoy the story or not, offers different ways to use descriptions, voices, and POV. While writing Megan’s Way, I read many women’s fiction books, evaluating the feel of the characters and their voices, which helped me to determine the best voice to use for my characters.

As a writer, we never stop learning. We can always grow our knowledge base and enhance our skills. Reading is a fun, enjoyable way to do so.

The next time you finish reading a book, ask yourself what themes resonated throughout the story, how deep were the characters, and what was unique about them? If you’re a parent, and your children are required to read a few minutes each night, sit down and do the same. Then ask yourself what you’ve learned about writing from what you’ve read. The more you read, the more you learn.

Interested in writing, or simply want to chat about books? Drop me an email: thinkhappygirl (at) yahoo (dot) com.

****

You can also follow Melissa
On her website: www.melissafoster.com
Or you can chat with her on The Women's Nest


****

Megan’s Way summary and trailer:

When Megan Taylor, a single mother and artist living on Cape Cod, receives the shocking news that her cancer has returned, she's faced with the most difficult decision she's ever had to make. Megan’s illness reawakens the torment of her best friend, Holly Townsend, whose long-held secrets and years of betrayal come back to haunt her. How does one choose between a daughter and a life-long best friend? Can the secret she has been keeping be revealed after years of lying without destroying everyone in its wake?

But Megan isn’t the only one struggling. Fourteen-year-old Olivia's world is falling apart right before her eyes, and there's nothing she can do about it. She finds herself acting in ways she cannot even begin to understand. When her internal struggles turn to dangerous behavior, even the paranormal connection she shares with her mother might not be enough to save her - her life will hang in the balance. Megan’s Way is a journey of self discovery and heartfelt emotions, exploring the depth of the mother-daughter bond, and the intricacies of friendship.




****

This blog tour is run by:



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for hosting my blog tour, Erika! I love your blog:-)

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to love reading with my sons, and hearing kids read in school. It delights me that two of my sons are now avid readers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got three kids who are avid readers, but I really like the idea of discussing the books with them more, especially the ones we read together. A good reminder - it is so easy to forget these things in a busy day. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments, ladies. There's a book that I'm getting ready to read called The Book Thief, by Hannah Tanti. My husband read it and loved it. Then my 11 yr old son read it and LOVED it. They discussed it and my son is dying for me to read it so we can talk about it.

    Any book that can be enjoyed by an 11 yr old and a 40 something year old has got to be good.

    Read, chat, enjoy. It all goes together, doesn't it?

    Sheila, are your kids hearing impaired? My 11 yr old is learning sign language and my 21 yr old is, too. It's important to discuss books--via voice or hands:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome, Melissa. It's interesting how you mention that children learn about different styles of writing by reading to them. I recently flipped through my book about teaching your child to read and one of the things I read was that children know that there is a difference between regular speech patterns and flowy, rhymning nature of their story books. I think talking about the writing styles would be a nice change for a moment from talking about the content of the book and may open up new possibilities for the child (and the child-parent relationship).

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison