Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Review: Highsong by Laura Jennings

Publishing Information:
Title – Highsong
Author – Laura Jennings
Publisher – Self-published ebook
Date Published -2011
# of pages -99KB (20,788 words)

Genres & Themes:  Fiction, Science Fiction

Stats:
GoodReads – 0 Ratings
Amazon.com – 5 Reviews, ~4.25 Average Rating

My Rating: 3/5

Plot Summary:
A young dolphin and her human ward discover they are the only defense against a massive alien onslaught.

Noteworthy:

*Novella or novelette length

What I thought:
What can I say about a book whose main character is a blind boy in space who talks to dolphins? Well, it left me thinking..."I sure can pick them!" What a strange and interesting book. And you know what? I'm glad I did pick it and the author was kind enough to send me a copy for review. Harp was a character that I think a lot of people may be able to connect to, including me. He has a disability and although some people on ship don't think he is handling it very well he knows himself and is trying his hardest to be happy and useful to the people around him. He knows those who are loyal to him and he is a loyal friend to them as well. What is not to like about this kid?

The idea of the highsong was a very well thought out and although it seems complicated at first, the book is written in a way that readers can understand the concept (even though dolphins are obviously a lot smarter than us humans). I really enjoyed the idea of the dolphins being guardians over humans and ended up liking Sia's story on the crashed planet where she meets some dolphins that see humans as their enemies. It was yet another example of how good vs. evil is all in the eye of the beholder.

This was a short book but it didn't feel like anything was missing. I have to praise Laura Jennings for her creativity and for making the book challenging in such a satisfying way. It made me think about a lot of things and at the same made me see a whole new world out there I hadn't before. I am by no means an expert on science fiction, but I definitely have never seen anything like this before. If you like science fiction and want to read something, I would say to definitely give this book a try!


Disclaimer: Free copy from author in exchange for an honest review

Recommended to: Science fiction/space opera fans

Where you can purchase this book:


Add this book to your tbr list:
Visit the  Highsong  Goodreads page.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison