Thursday, August 4, 2011

Review: Jeremy Chikalto and the Hazy Souls by T.S. DeBrosse

Publishing Information:
Title – Jeremy Chikalto and the Hazy Souls (Book #1 in series)
Author – T.S. DeBrosse
Publisher – Viral Cat Press
Date Published - 2011
# of pages - ebook

Genres & Themes: Fiction, Science Fiction, Young Adult, War between the heavens, Prophecy, Royalty, Intergalactic, Adventure

Stats:
GoodReads – 7 Ratings, 4.57 Average Rating
Amazon.com – 1 Review, 5.0 Average Rating

My Rating: 4/5

Plot Summary:

Jeremy Chikalto claimed for years he can look behind the air. When an angel delivers a cryptic message about the Apocalypse, a series of strange events draws Jeremy closer and closer to the core of things. What if a third entity was vying for power with God and the Devil? Why are Earth and the distant planet Watico so similar? When Jeremy crosses over to the Haze, the line between light and dark blurs. Who is he? What is he? Can a crude prince become a cosmic martyr? Enter a world where angels, demons, ghosts, aliens, and volcanoes are bound together by prophesy.

What I thought:

Earlier this month as I was browsing through Amazon Kindle books I stumbled upon this book. It looked fresh and interesting, and I was a little tired of the female point of view at the time so a book with a male lead seemed really appealing. I downloaded the sample just to see what it was about and I’m so glad I did! I couldn’t put this one down. At first I did have a hard time getting used to the royal titles that Jeremy’s world had. He is basically a prince, except the title of prince is instead “Cajjez”. There is also a talking cat that isn’t really a cat. And when the book opens, Jeremy is really the type of guy you want to slap in the face – over and over again. He really is not a nice person. However, as the book progressed I found that despite what a jerk he was to the people around him, there was something really special about him that made me want to forgive just a little bit for that. This is the type of fresh new voice that T.S. DeBrosse gives us.


As I read on, I found the story to be a very complex one, and was put together in a way that felt very new and exciting to me. I have never seen a story with these ideas before and some of them kind of made my head spin but it was quite worth it to keep reading and see what would happen next. I found that  Jeremy Chikalto and the Hazy Souls is the strangest book I have read this year. In fact, it's probably the strangest book I've read in the past 5 years. I don't even know how to describe what it's about so I'll just let the summary speak for itself. I like odd and strange, so believe me, this is not a downer when I say this. If odd is not your thing though, it might not be for you. This book was incredibly entertaining and thought provoking, although I'm sure I have no idea what half of the stuff in it was supposed to mean. It surprised me that it was so spiritual as well and I thought the idea of Mantel, a rival to God and Lucifer, was great (like I said, incredibly thought provoking). I can't wait until the next one. I actually caught myself with a real frowny face when I read it wasn't coming out until spring 2012.


Disclaimer:  I bought my copy.

Recommended to: People who want to read something completely different and fresh with lots of action.

Where you can purchase this book:
Amazon Kindle


Add this book to your tbr list:
Visit the  Jeremy Chikalto and the Hazy Souls  Goodreads page.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison