Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Short Review: Shaken, Not Stirred by Tim Gunn

Summary:
Tim Gunn - mentor to contestents on Project Runway, and author of A Guide to Quality, Taste, and Style and New York Times Bestseller Gunn's Golden Rules - recounts his tumultuous relationship with his father in this personal essay. Gunn's father, Bill, was a special agent who served as FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover's ghostwriter and lived his life according to a set of unbending routines. When Bill Gunn was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease, his rigid habits seemingly preserved his sanity while alienating Tim and the rest of his family. Shaken, Not Stirred offers an intimate and heartfelt look into the life of one of fashion's most beloved icons.  

Thoughts:
Tim Gunn is a fairly popular person on television, being one of the hosts for Project Runway, so I am surprised that his book Shaken, Not Stirred hasn't had that many reviews and ratings yet. I love Project Runway and have always been interested in learning more about Tim's past. When I found this Kindle Single for only a couple dollars I was pretty excited. It is very short, being the equivalent of 15 pages.

From the very first page, I was prepared to give this one a high recommendation. It opens very beautifully and Tim's own voice really shines through. It wasn't really wasn't what I expected though. I liked that Tim focused on his father and who he was, but he barely goes into much detail about his own relationship with him. It also felt a little random, including where he chose to end it. There wasn't really any real conclusion to the story. Even so, it was a nice, short, look into a man who nobody really seemed to understand.
 
My rating: 3/5

Disclaimer: I bought my copy.

You can buy Shaken, Not Stirred through Amazon Kindle.

Shaken, Not Stirred on Goodreads.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison