Monday, September 26, 2011

Highlights From Waterloo Region: Word on the Street (Or...the event of the year...I missed it!)




Highlights from Waterloo Region was created in order to give more exposure to the local authors, bloggers, readers, publishers, book events and more in the community. Please go to the Introducing...Highlights from Waterloo Region page for an archive of past highlights or to find out more about how you can become involved.



The Word on the Street is a national festival of the written word. It happens once a year in Vancouver, Lethbridge, Saskatoon, Kitchener, Toronto, and Halifax. From The Word on the Street website, the aim is to:

To bring writing, publishing and literacy communities together to heighten the awareness and encourage and foster a positive attitude towards literacy.  To emphasize the joy of reading, and enhance public appreciation of the printed word in a fun and completely accessible environment.  To increase the public awareness of, and interest in, the quality and quantity of Canadian authored/produced books and magazines, thereby stimulating the demand to purchase and invest in Canadian talent.
 
Kitchener's featured authors, storytellers, and poets this year were:
Jan Andrews
Rona Arato
Laura Beingessner
Lana Button
Sean Cassidy
Scott Chantler
Trevor Cole
L.M. Falcone
Frank Ferragine
Heather Fraser
Carla Johnson
Doug Larson
Sarita Mandanna
Ross Pennie
Ted Reader
Iain Reid
Gregor Robinson
Richard Scarsbrook
Drew Haydon Taylor
Carolyn Wilker
Robert Charles Wilson
There was also a tent for local authors to sell and promote their books, a tent for the library to sell their "gently used" books, and more.

***

I had planned to be at Word on the Street, meet some great authors and share my experience with you all through picture and video. Unfortunately, the six hours of the year that would have made the most awesome Hightlights from Waterloo Region post also happened to coincide with the worst cold my whole family decided to come down with. I will be looking out all over the internet for photos and videos that I can share with you next week. In the mean time, if anyone reading this went and has a post or photos to share I would greatly appreciate you letting me know. Leave a comment or email me

I hope everyone who was able to make it had a splendid time :D





3 comments:

  1. That's too bad that you were sick. Hope you're feeling a little better now. I was able to go, but only for an hour or so. No pictures, but I did meet Ms Anderson, local author of Monad 12. 21. 12: The Awakening of Stella Steinar, which was exciting. And my son won a draw for a selection of toys after a children's book reading.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a fun event (my first as an author)! So sorry to have missed you. I wish I had more photos to share, but I was talking my face off for most of the day. I have only a few pics of my display and set-up. It was lovely to meet Sarah (above). Can't wait to hear what you both think of my book MONAD 12.21.12 The Awakening of Stella Steinar. Erika, you should have yours in a few short days. Overall, a very positive experience and a beautiful sunny day for everything bookish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So gglad to have found you and to be your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison