Friday, September 23, 2011

Review: Zor by J.B


Publilshing information:
Book Title - Zor
Author - J.B.
Publisher - J.B.
Date Published - 2010
# of pages - 268

My rating - 4/5

Summary:

"Zor" explores the relationship between philosophy, spirituality, and science by asking one simple question; where do you turn when life's core beliefs become suspect?

That is the dilemma confronting Jonathan Brewster, a middle aged money manager from Boston, whose "chance" meeting with a Haitian dwarf named Zor, spirals out of control. Forced to defend his life in a series of intense debates concerning negative ch'i, emotional addictions, neuron networks, placebos, vipassana meditation, the collective unconscious, laws of attraction, sub-atomic entanglement, Nietzche, metta, God, and happiness; John is reluctantly drawn to a new reality.

Rising above his crisis of conscience he restructures his life for the greater good, only to be challenged by the ultimate betrayal.

Thoughts:

Zor is a book I feel I have been waiting a long time to read without even realising that I have been. It is the cumulation of various thoughts on philosopy, spirituality, and science, all wrapped up in an easy to follow, easy to read fiction package. I have read a book similar to this titled "True Story: A Christianity Worth  Believing In" in which half the book also presented it's ideas in a fictionalized story. In both cases the story is stripped down to it's very essentials - character and dialogue. Plot plays a role, albeit a very minor one. 

What I like about this format is it's ability to draw me into the concepts presented in a very thrilling way. Will character A convince character B that the ideas of X are true or right? It makes it so that I have to pay attention, have to try to understand what the person is trying to say before moving on. But since character A is teaching character B, who hasn't heard of these ideas before, it's also easy enough to understand that the story goes very fast. And character B brings up all the questions I may have about the concept and ideas as well.

I was thrilled to find out that this is Zor. I wasn't completely taken with the characters. Their own stories kind of didn't do it for me. But their journey together certainly did. I had a blast learning about the concepts of chi and energy, multiple dimensions, and the power of positive thinking. I don't really agree with Zor's idea on religions. In fact I really don't agree with anyone who implies that the similarities between religions means that we are really all the same. I think people take that idea too far and are ignoring the differences too much that it can start to become disrespectful of certain history, religious texts, and lifestyles. I think religions are too complex to be simplied down to certain themes and concepts. I can see how Zor comes to the conclusion he does about us all being gods and the energy of all life. It does make sense the way he puts it. But that seems to me an entirely new type of spirituality than an answer to our similarities.

Overall, I would completely recommend this book. For people who love to learn but want to do so through fiction, or non-fiction readers who would prefer an introduction to certain concepts before diving into the heavier stuff.

Disclaimer: I received my review copy from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

You can purchase Zor in paperback and kindle formats online through Amazon.

You can also see Zor on Goodreads to read more reviews or add it to your list.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison