Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Blog Tour: eBook Review: Two Moons of Sera by Pavarti K Tyler


This review is part of the blog tour for Two Moons of Sera. Check out my interview with Pavarti earlier this morning to learn more about the author.

Book Review:

Publishing Info:
Title - Two Moons of Sera (Volume 1)
Author - Pavarti K Tyler
Publisher - Fighting Monkey Press
Date Published - 2011
Word Count - 20,000+ (76 pages)

Summary:

In a world where water and earth teem with life, Serafay is an anomaly. The result of genetic experiments on her mother's water-borne line Serafay will have to face the very people responsible to discover who she really is. But is she the only one?

All the Fun of YA written for Adults

Two Moons of Sera is a Fantasy/Romance and will be released in a serial format. The first volume is just shy of 20,000 words and will be priced at $0.99. Anyone who purchases it will receive all future volumes for free. However if you wait to get it until later, the price will go up with each addition.

My Rating: 3/5

Thoughts:

How do you cram an original fantasy world, make the reader visualize the characters' surroundings, create complex characters, and plot intrigue into a 76 page book? If you want to find out, you'll have to read Two Moons of Sera because this is exactly what author Pavarti K. Tyler has managed to do.

I was lucky enough to receive a copy of Two Moons of Sera for it's month long blog tour this November. I wasn't quite sure what to expect but it sounded like a great story and couldn't pass up the opportunity to read it. I'm so glad I did. It reinforced that idea I had long ago forgotten - that fantasies don't have to rely on overly descriptive passages, chapters and chapters of history lessons, and the like. Instead they can be just as subtle and mellow in style as any contemporary book. They can easily be novellas. And more importantly, accessible to a wide variety of readers.

The tagline at the back of the book says "All the Fun of YA written for Adults". And yes, this book is fun. But I think it's strength lies more in the beauty of the people and the places that Tyler has created. Being the first in a series of novellas, the budding romance between Serafay and Torkok is just on the edge of reality, not really getting off the ground. It has great potential that makes me want the next one sooner rather than later. But I felt it needed to progress more within this installment to be really, quite fun.

This is a high fantasy series I'd be more interested in recommending to paranormal readers. Both the writing, the plot, and the romance seem to appeal more to that mindset of reading for me. And I have to admit, that made me a bit confused about it to start, but I believe Tyler has something quite original and possibly beautiful here. I am in love with this world and it's people.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

You can purchase Two Moons of Sera for Kindle on Amazon or for multiple ereaders on Smashwords.

You can check out more reviews or add it to your Goodreads list.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison