Thursday, December 1, 2011

Interview with Kevin M. Turner, author of The Magi

Today we have author Kevin M. Turner with us for an interview. Welcome to the blog! It’s so nice to have you here today.

ABOUT YOU

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
 
 I am a husband, a father, and a teacher.  I live in the states (California) and teach middle school English.  I graduated with a philosophy degree from a small liberal arts college in San Diego.  Later I went back to school to get my degree in education and I have been teaching for eight years.  I also am a professor of philosophy and education working with new teacher candidates.  Last year, in an attempt to help students find a fun book to read, I began writing The Magi, which is now completed and available as an e-book.  I am continuing to pursue publishing.


I love covers. I'm always curious to know how much of an input the author had in it. Can you share a little bit about your involvement? What do you like about it? What do you wish was different?

Being an indie author, I had almost total control of my cover.  That being said, I left a lot of the artistic work up to my cover designer, Jordan Harris, who I trust.  I gave him the general idea of what style I was looking for and let him run with it.  I wanted something simple and I wanted a symbol that would be easily recognized.  Since a lot of The Magi deals with the four natural elements (water, fire, earth, wind), I asked for a symbol that could represent each and one that could represent the unification of those four.  I love what he came up with and couldn’t be happier with the cover.  There were some minor design/background suggestions I gave, but most of it was his creation.    

How do you cope with writer’s block?

I take a walk.  If I get some alone time to walk things out and get lost in the methodical pace, I generally can break through the block.  However, finding time to not only walk but write afterward can sometimes be difficult. 


What is the editing process like for you?

Horrible.  I’d rather visit the dentist!  I spent more time editing than writing, and hated almost every minute.  I love creation, so getting bogged down in the small details is not fun for me.  But it’s necessary.  I usually edit chapter by chapter.  Then I go through the whole thing again...then again...then again...and just about when I get sick of it all, I do it again.  I cut out a ton of the story as well.  Mostly, I just cut a lot of superfluous words and phrases that ended up adding more than necessary.  However, there were some very big scenes that I took in the interest of saving precious space.  Thankfully, I like it better as it is. 
    
What is the best thing that happened to you this year (without mentioning your book in any shape or form)?

Getting to read to my daughter.  Luckily, it happens almost every night.  There’s just something about her crawling into my lap with a book that melts me into marshmallow goo.

Why did the chicken cross the road?
To prove to the possum that it could be done.


Book Summary:

Thirteen-year-old Elijah Hawk has never heard of the Magi. He doesn't know about the secret power they have. He has never been to Savenridge, the Magi city hidden deep inside the northern forests. Most of all, Elijah is unaware of the dangers hunting him, in search for something he has. After one terrifying night, however, all of that changes!

On a quest to solve the murder of his parents, Elijah stumbles upon the land of the Magi. Learning their secrets and training with their power is the least of his problems. In order to find out why his parents were killed, Elijah learns that he must confront the dangers that are hunting him. What's more puzzling is learning that stumbling upon this new world of the Magi may not have been an accident after all.

The Magi is available from Amazon and Barnes & Noble. You can add it to your Goodreads list here.

Author Bio:

 Kevin M. Turner is the author of The Magi, a fantasy/adventure novel written for young adult readers. He attended Point Loma Nazarene University and majored in Philosophy and Theology. Turner later studied education and has been teaching English to middle school students since 2004. The Magi was originally written to give his students a fun book to read. He currently lives in California with his wife and daughter. The Magi, the first book in a five-book series, is available on Smashwords and Amazon.  

You can find Kevin M. Turner online in the following places





No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison