Wednesday, January 25, 2012

eBook Reviews: Dormant + Takeover (Day of Sacrifice #3 + 4) by S.W. Benefiel

These are short books, so I thought I'd combine both the reviews into one post. Note: If you are interested in the Day of Sacrifice Stories, you can now purchase the first 3 volumes in one. Links below go to the individual volumes.

Publishing Info: 
Title -Dormant (Day of Sacrifice #3)
Author - S.W. Benefiel
Publisher - S.W. Benefiel
Date Published -  2011
# of words - 14, 000

Summary:

Flora's twin sister Fauna and her boyfriend Clark are fiercely committed to the rebellion and to each other. When Bartholomew, the Head Guardian Angel, takes control of their souls and tries to rewrite their history, that commitment wavers. Can Fauna and Clark find their way back? To the rebellion? To their bodies? To each other?
 
Does your soul remember who you love, even if your mind doesn't?

Thoughts:

This volume wasn't as fun as the first two in the series. I did enjoy many aspects of it though. For example, there is a time paradox which was well thought out and added a lot to the overall story. Things with the rebellion are very dormant (as the title suggests) so don't expect a lot of action. This one is more about stealth. I'm still in love with the character and world created in this series and can't wait to see where all of this is going. 

Disclaimer: I bought my copy.

You can purchase Dormant in kindle format from Amazon
 
You can check out more reviews or add it to your Goodreads list.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Publishing Info: 
Title - Takeover (Day of Sacrifice #4)
Author - S.W. Benefiel
Publisher - S.W. Benefiel
Date Published - 2011
# of words - 13, 000

Summary:


Supernaturals aren’t always what they seem.
Alexander is a half witch, half vampire.
Meagan is a werewolf.
He’s been withholding the truth about who he really is from everyone.
She’s been withholding the truth about who she really is from herself.
One night. One moonlit run.
The truth comes out.



Thoughts:


I had a very hard time getting into this one. I think this had mostly to do with the fact that I had to wait so long between reading Dormant and Takeover that I couldn't remember what was going on or even who half the characters were (Dormant was read last April!). Names I remembered but what their role in the story was I did not. Not much in the stories are re-capped and because they're short they shouldn't really need it. But it made me wish that the volumes were published closer together.



After I got the hang of the story and the people I really enjoyed it. I've been enjoying the way each volume is from a different person's perspective. Alexander's was really fascinating and because he's on the fringe of the rebellion and not wholly trusted it made for an interesting way to see things from his perspective. I also loved the fact that we got to see the gods from close up. We get to see more of their motivations and they almost have their own culture among themselves. I really found them to be gross but at the same time they made for a fascinating bunch. The story ended on a high note and I'm excited to see what happens next.


Disclaimer: I bought my copy.

You can purchase Takeover in kindle format from Amazon
 
You can check out more reviews or add it to your Goodreads list.
 
 

5 comments:

  1. Your passion for reading really comes through. I hope some good books find you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, red-handed. That means a lot to me. Checked out your etsy shop. Love what you are doing :)

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the reviews Erika!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! One other quick thing - I've got a glossary of characters, places, and terms on my website to help refresh everyone's memories in between stories. It's under DoS terms at http://staceywallacebenefiel.com

    Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's so helpful! I'll definitely be checking it out and refreshing my memory when the next one comes out :)

      Delete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison