Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Interview with Benjamin Andrews, author of Rift of Askrah: Fracture

Today we have author Benjamin Andrews with us for an interview. Welcome to the blog!


ABOUT YOUR BOOK AND WRITING

What age bracket do you write for?

I haven't aimed for a specific age bracket in my writing so far. My current series is appropriate for younger readers, but could easily be enjoyed by older readers alike. There are themes, plots, and situations that I think could be appreciated by a variety of ages.

How did you choose the genre you write in?

I chose to write in fantasy because I've always loved escaping into imaginary worlds. Stories where anything can happen, unbound by the rules of our world. The adventures can be as grand as your imagination can make it. I love many other genre's as well, but none have ever pulled me quite like fantasy.

How did you decide what length to make the book? When did you decide to stop writing it?

The length was decided by where I wanted the first book to end at. Since it's the first book in a series, I wanted to reach a certain point in the overall story. Once I'd written out the first draft, it was just adding, taking away and changing as needed before reaching the final word count.

What was your favourite scene to write?

I won't go into too much detail, as to avoid spoilers, but it was a fight scene that takes place near the end of the book. I was really jazzed about introducing some new characters, and the fight that takes place involving them.

How would you describe the feel of your writing style?

I would say I have a more fast-paced style, with a heavier focus on characters and their involvement and actions in the story. I don't spend as much time or words on description of rooms, scenery, clothing, etc.. I believe readers ultimately imagine those parts in their own way, even if you describe it in a very detailed way. I make sure readers know where they're at, what the characters see, but the main focal point is the characters themselves.


JUST 'CAUSE

Ever pulled an ‘all-nighter’ writing?

Many times. Night is when I usually write, less distractions that way. If I'm really into writing a part of the book, I'll stay up and keep writing. Those nights are double edged swords. So much done, and yet so tired afterward...

Are you a person who makes their bed in the morning, or do you not see much point?

Don't see much point. I'll straighten it out when I go to sleep next.

If you were trapped on a deserted island, what three items would you want to have with you?

A knife, a lighter, and a nice, thick book to read.


Book Summary:

What seems to be true on the surface is rarely the truth. Nihlen Draven, First Prince and heir to the throne of the nation of Draven, has lived with undeniable truths his entire life. In an instant though, all those truths are shattered. After being kidnapped, and his kingdom subjugated by the neighboring nation of Rinh, Nihlen's life begins to spiral out of control. Thrust into a world he thought he understood, Nihlen must fight for his very life, and the fate of his kingdom. Every day becomes a battle for survival as he tries to understand the unimaginable changes taking place all around him. The age is turning, and that age centers around him. The forgotten past of a land called Askrah is slowly enveloping the world, threatening the safety and lives of people all around the world. With comrades he finds along the way, including some of his kidnappers, Nihlen must begin to unwind the mystery surrounding his kingdom. In time he will discover saving his kingdom is only the beginning. With danger around every turn, and enemies seeking his death nipping at his heels, Nihlen and his comrades must do everything they can to stay a step ahead, and survive long enough to find the answers they seek in this first installment of the Rift of Askrah series.

You can buy Rift of Askrah: Fracture from Amazon and Barnes & Noble.

Author Bio:

My name is Benjamin Andrews. I'm 22 years old, and was born in Idaho. These days I live in Oregon, and enjoy it here quite a lot. I've wanted to be a writer since a young age, and finally living that dream feels incredible. Like most writers, I'm also a bookworm, and love reading. When I'm not reading or writing, I enjoy playing video games, snowboarding, traveling, and relaxing. I also have an Associate's Degree in Pharmacy Technology, and plan to return to school and pursue other subjects. Some of my current writing ventures include a blog about writing and publishing, and the second book in the Rift of Askrah series.

 You can find Benjamin Andrews online in the following places



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison