Thursday, February 23, 2012

Book in Review: The Jinx by D.F. Lamont

Publishing Info:


Title - The Jinx
Author - D.F. Lamont
Publisher - Jetpack Media
Date Published -  2011
# of pages - 128
 
Summary:
 
The Jinx is the story of Stephen Grayson, a 13-year old whose run of bad luck gets so bad he worries he is endangering his family. Fearing he is cursed, he flees home to protect his family, only to find that he is in the middle of a tug-of war between a cult obsessed with order and misshapen monsters known as “Chaons” who seem bent on hunting him down.
 
Thoughts:
 
This started off as a fun, playful book. I was really enjoying it at the beginning. Stephen was going through all sorts of disasterous events that led him to believe he was jinxed. Then Stephen runs away and meets a group of people who put him up on a dais and tells him he is really important to the tension between chaos and order. Or to be more precise, really important in making one side rule over the other. The author totally lost me here. This cult was pretty much in keeping with the playful, creative tone of the book (most kids would really enjoy it) but it was just too much for me. I started to lose interest in the story and because of that whatever the author was saying about chaos and order flew right over my head. Usually I would really go for a book like this, which I guess is why I wanted to read it to begin with. This one just didn't work for me. I would recommend it to some smart kids who like adventure tales where they can learn something too.
 
 
 
 
Disclaimer: I received a free e-copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.

You can buy  The Jinx in Kindle and paperback formats from Amazon. 
 
You can check out more reviews or add it to your Goodreads list.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison