Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Book Review: Cat Sayings by Bradford G. Wheler

Publishing Info:

Title - Cat Sayings: Wit and Wisdom from the Whiskered Ones
Author -  Bradford G. Wheler
Publisher - BookCollaborative.com
Date Published -  2012
# of pages - 134

Summary:

New Book Dedicated to the Cat Lover is Released Featuring Cat Art from Around the Globe

This cat art book showcases artwork along with quotations about cats that cover topics including the bond between humans and their cats, the cat personality, of cats & dogs, and even wild cats. This collaborative publication has two goals in mind: first, to honor and highlight the cats though text and artwork, and secondly, to showcase talents of new and emerging artists who focus on creating cat art.


Thoughts:

I have to admit, although being intrigued by this book and getting my hands on a copy I was a bit hesitant but as a cat lover I just couldn't resist it. Well, upon receiving CAT SAYINGS in the mail and opening it up, I immediately fell in love with it. I could not stop turning the pages to see the next piece of artwork and read the sometimes quirky, sometimes brilliant, and insightful quotes about cats.


I applaud Bradford G. Wheler's great abilty to select the artwork and quotes for this piece. I think I have found a few favourite artists and will be seeking out their names online, if nothing else to subject myself to more of their amazing creations. I also found a lot of quotes that I will be going back to over and over again. One of my favourites was

So it is, and much is life. When the cat's away, the mice they play. - Charles Dickens
But that's a fairly well known saying, or quote. So here's another one I loved:

Purring would seem to be, in her case, an automatic safety-valvefor dealing with happiness overflow. - Monica Edwards
I love that image of a safety valve for happiness overflow.


My only problem with the book is the formatting. At times it seemed a bit off. Maybe this was a product of the artist name being so much bigger than the rest of the text on the page, but it seemed to stick out like a sore thumb. I would have also liked to see the titles of the artwork included under each one, although I like that at the end of the book there was a whole section to include biographies of all the artists and photographers.


I'll most definitely be keeping this one in an easy to reach place. Of course, I've been telling everyone I now have a "crazy cat lady" book, but I can't help smiling and recalling all the fun I am having with this book every time I do so.





Disclaimer: I received a free copy of the book from the author in exchange for my honest opinion.
 
You can buy CAT SAYINGS in paperback format from Amazon. 
 
You can check out more reviews or add it to your Goodreads list.
 

1 comment:

  1. I pondered to myself recently what were the most important things in my life. The answer seems to be clear that art was up there in importance. Why? Frankly, I don't really know. May be someone here can enlighten me?
    As was my wont w
    hen I have some free time, I browsed the marvelous site, wahooart.com, where they keep thousands of digital images for customers to select to have printed into handsome canvas prints for their homes.
    This image jumped out to jolt my reveries: Still life with bread, by the Cubist Georges Braque. Is art like this picture, as essential as bread and water, or should I say bread and wine?

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison