Monday, September 24, 2012

Highlights from Waterloo Region: Word on the Street 2012


Yesterday I had a great time at Word on the Street in Kitchener. For those of you who don't know, Word on the Street is a one day event that takes place in cities all across Canada. Authors can promote their books, booksellers and organizations can connect with readers, and there is fun for the whole family.

The big authors this year were:
  • Erin Bow
  • Frank Ferrangine
  • Jian Ghomeshi
  • Ian Hamilton
  • Don Harron
  • Taylor Jones
  • Lillian Natel
  • Brad Smith
  • Carrie Snyder
street view

street view

Kitchener's Word on the Street was pretty small. There weren't many local authors there which was disappointing but I did find a new bookseller to check out, found a signed copy of Plain Kate by Erin Bow,  saw Erick Traplin sing for the kids and read one of his picture books (I have never heard better chicken sound effects :)), and had a really yummy hotdog!

Erick Traplin getting the kids moving


I found the sound stage (I did miss one author because I couldn't find it at first) and then I found Sarah from Workaday Reads who had also come to see some authors. It was really nice to see Sarah again.

We sat down and listened to an interview with Brad Smith, author of Crow's Landing.

Brad Smith (left)


I loved hearing what he had to say. Even though I've never heard of him before I think his stories sound like they are very well written and would be great out-of-my-comfort-zone reads.

After that I kind of wandered around for a bit, not sure what I wanted to do. I decided to stay all the way to the end of the day to hear Carrie Snyder (I realised that I read her other book years ago). So I went back to the sound stage and listened to the other authors as well.

Taylor Jones


I absolutely fell in love with Taylor Jones and his online art project DearPhotograph.com. If you haven't been there yet, you have to check it out! This is the project: You hold up a picture in the place where it was originally taken, line it up, and the changes are so fascinating.Taylor posts one photo every day from the submissions he receives. The book has 200 dear photographs in it.

Carrie Snyder, reading from her book

Carrie Snyder, signing books


Then I heard Carrie Snyder read from her new book The Juliet Stories. Carrie's voice is so beautiful. I think I'm really going to like this one!

So that was my very first Word on the Street experience. It was fascinating to see how every author chose to promote their book. Everyone did something different...a one on one interview, a questions from the audience take, a story of how the book came about, and a reading from the book.

And I got some "loot"! Here's what I picked up at Word on the Street:

books I bought


Secret Sacrement by Sherryl Jordan (a used library book), Plain Kate by Erin Bow, The Juliet Stories by Carrie Snyder, and Dear Photograph by Taylor Jones

And the three new books are all signed!



It was a huge splurge but it was worth it :D

1 comment:

  1. It was great to see you too. You picked up some great looking books after I had to leave!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison